Malta Mġarr Cyclist Fight for Life After Car Crash
|

Mġarr Cyclist Fight for Life After Car Crash

Cyclist’s Fight for Life After Mġarr Crash: What We Know So Far

Early Tuesday morning, the peaceful streets of Mġarr were shattered by the sickening sound of metal crumpling against flesh. A cyclist, later identified as 35-year-old Matthew Xuereb, was left critically injured after a car collision on Triq il-Kbira, just metres from the iconic Mġarr Church.

Scene of the Accident

Eyewitnesses described a chaotic scene, with Xuereb lying motionless on the road, his bike mangled beneath the car’s wheel. The driver, a 48-year-old man from Naxxar, was reportedly shaken but unharmed. Police quickly cordoned off the area, and Xuereb was rushed to Mater Dei Hospital, where he remains in a critical but stable condition.

Community Rallies Around Xuereb

News of the accident spread like wildfire through Mġarr, with residents expressing shock and outrage. “This is a close-knit community,” said local shopkeeper, Joseph Camilleri. “Everyone knows Matthew. We’re all praying for him.” A makeshift shrine of flowers and candles has since appeared at the scene, with messages of support flooding social media.

Xuereb’s family has asked for privacy but thanked the community for their outpouring of love and support. “Matthew is a fighter,” his sister, Michelle, told Hot Malta. “We’re staying strong and hoping for the best.”

Campaign for Safer Roads Gains Momentum

The accident has reignited calls for improved cycling infrastructure and safer roads. Xuereb’s accident is the latest in a string of cycling-related incidents on Malta’s roads, with cyclists and pedestrians often bearing the brunt of accidents.

Malta’s cycling community has launched a petition calling for more dedicated cycling lanes and stricter penalties for drivers who endanger cyclists. “We’re not asking for much,” said cyclist and petition organiser, Mark Spiteri. “Just a bit more space and respect on our roads.”

The petition has gained traction, with over 5,000 signatures in just 48 hours. It will be presented to Transport Minister Ian Borg next week.

Investigation Underway

Police are still investigating the cause of the accident. They have appealed for any witnesses or anyone with information to come forward. The driver has been arrested and released on police bail pending further investigations.

Hot Malta will continue to update this story as more information comes to light. In the meantime, our thoughts are with Matthew Xuereb and his family during this difficult time.

Similar Posts