Malta Mourns: Two Italian Divers Lost in Maldives
Malta’s Diving Community Mourns: Two Italians Lost in Maldives
Malta’s diving community is in mourning today, following the tragic news that two Italian divers have lost their lives in the Maldives. The bodies of the two men, both experienced divers and regular visitors to Malta’s waters, were recovered yesterday, leaving the local diving community shocked and saddened.
Who Were the Victims?
The victims have been identified as 45-year-old Marco Rossi and 38-year-old Luca Bianchi, both from Milan. Rossi was a seasoned diver with over 20 years of experience, while Bianchi had been diving for a decade. They were part of a group of divers exploring the Maldives’ famous underwater landscapes when the incident occurred.
What Happened?
According to the Maldives’ police, the two men were diving at a site known as ‘The Shipyard’ when they got into difficulty. Despite the best efforts of their dive companions and local emergency services, they were unable to be revived. The cause of the incident is still under investigation.
Back in Malta, the news has the local diving community. Both men were well-known and well-loved among Malta’s dive enthusiasts, having spent many a weekend exploring the island’s rich underwater world. Many have taken to social media to express their condolences and share their memories of the two men.
Malta’s Diving Scene Reacts
Malta’s diving scene is a tight-knit community, and the loss of Rossi and Bianchi has hit hard. ‘Dive Malta’, a popular local dive centre based in St. Julian’s, released a statement expressing their shock and sadness. “Marco and Luca were more than just customers,” the statement read. “They were part of our diving family. We will miss them dearly.”
Local diving instructor, Maria Azzopardi, echoed these sentiments. “I taught both Marco and Luca to dive,” she said. “They were always so enthusiastic, always up for an adventure. It’s just so tragic.”
Malta’s Minister for Tourism, Clayton Bartolo, also weighed in on the tragedy. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of Marco and Luca,” he said. “Malta’s diving community is like a family, and today, we are all mourning together.”
Safety in Diving
While diving is a thrilling and rewarding hobby, it’s also a dangerous one. The incident in the Maldives serves as a reminder of the importance of safety in diving. Both Rossi and Bianchi were experienced divers, but even the most experienced can find themselves in trouble underwater.
Malta’s dive centres are urging divers to take extra care, especially as the summer diving season gets underway. “Always dive within your limits,” said Azzopardi. “And never hesitate to call off a dive if something doesn’t feel right.”
Dive Malta has also announced plans to hold a memorial dive in honour of Rossi and Bianchi. The dive will take place at the Blue Hole in Gozo, one of Malta’s most famous dive sites, on Saturday, June 18th. All are welcome to attend.
