BCA Intervenes in Birkirkara Collapse Site Dispute
BCA Steps In as Birkirkara Residents Voice Concerns Over Early Morning Works at Collapse Site
It’s 6:30 AM on a Tuesday, and the usually quiet streets of Birkirkara are filled with an unusual din. The source? Not the early morning bustle of the local market, but the sound of heavy machinery at the site of a recent building collapse on Triq il-Kbira. Residents, already on edge after the structure’s sudden demise, are now up in arms about the early morning works that have been disrupting their sleep and daily routines.
BCA Intervenes Amid Resident Complaints
The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) has stepped in to address the concerns of Birkirkara residents following complaints about early morning works at the site of the collapsed building on Triq il-Kbira. The authority has issued a statement reminding the contractors that construction works should not commence before 7 AM on weekdays, as per the Noise Pollution Regulations.
“We understand the urgency of the situation and the need to clear the site as soon as possible,” a BCA spokesperson said. “However, we also understand the plight of the residents who are being disturbed in their homes. We have reminded the contractors of the regulations and have assured the residents that we will be closely monitoring the situation.”
Residents: “It’s Not Just About the Noise”
While the noise is indeed a significant issue for the residents, their concerns run deeper. Many have expressed fears about the structural stability of the remaining buildings in the area, given the sudden collapse of the four-story structure last week. Others worry about the potential health hazards posed by the debris and dust from the site.
“It’s not just about the noise,” said Joe, a long-time resident of Triq il-Kbira. “We’re worried about our safety. We don’t know what’s stable and what’s not. And with all this dust, who knows what we’re breathing in?”
Contractors: “We’re Doing Our Best in Difficult Circumstances”
The contractors, on the other hand, insist that they are doing their best to clear the site as quickly and safely as possible. They argue that starting work early is necessary to make up for lost time due to the recent heavy rains.
“We understand the residents’ concerns, but we’re working against the clock here,” said a spokesperson for the contracting company. “The site needs to be cleared as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the surrounding buildings. We’re doing our best to balance the need for urgency with the need to respect the residents’ peace and quiet.”
In response to these concerns, the BCA has assured the residents that it will be conducting regular inspections of the site to ensure that the contractors are adhering to the regulations. The authority has also encouraged the residents to report any violations to their hotline.
As for the contractors, they have promised to do their best to respect the noise regulations while continuing to work towards the safe clearance of the site. They have also expressed their willingness to engage with the residents to address their concerns.
In the meantime, life in Birkirkara continues, albeit with a heightened sense of unease. The residents of Triq il-Kbira wait, hoping for a swift resolution to the situation that has turned their quiet street into a scene of constant activity.
This is a developing story. Stay tuned to Hot Malta for more updates on this situation.
