BCA Intervenes in Birkirkara Collapse Site Dispute
BCA Steps In as Birkirkara Residents Voice Concerns Over Early Morning Works at Collapse Site
It’s 6:30 AM, and the usually quiet streets of Birkirkara are filled with an unusual din. Not the chirping of birds or the distant hum of traffic, but the clanking of heavy machinery and the rumble of earth moving. Residents of Triq il-Kbira, adjacent to the site of the recent building collapse, are waking up to a new reality – construction works starting as early as 6 AM.
An Unwelcome Wake-Up Call
For weeks, residents have been living with the aftermath of the collapse. The once bustling street, now a scene of destruction, has been a stark reminder of the incident. But the early morning works, which started last week, have added a new layer of discomfort. “It’s like they’re trying to wake up the whole neighbourhood,” complains Joe, a long-time resident who prefers not to use his full name.
Joe isn’t alone in his frustration. Several residents have taken to social media to voice their concerns, with many expressing their displeasure at the early start times. “We understand that the work needs to be done, but at what cost to our sleep and peace of mind?” asks Maria, another resident who has been affected by the early morning works.
BCA Intervenes
It didn’t take long for the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to step in. Following numerous complaints, the BCA has issued a directive to the contractor, limiting the start time of works to 7 AM on weekdays. The directive, issued on Tuesday, also stipulates that no works should be carried out on weekends or public holidays.
“We understand the residents’ concerns and we’re committed to ensuring that the works are carried out in a manner that minimizes disruption to the local community,” said a spokesperson for the BCA. The spokesperson also confirmed that the authority will be conducting regular inspections to ensure that the contractor is adhering to the directives.
The collapse site, located at the heart of Birkirkara, has been a source of concern for residents and authorities alike. The clean-up operation, which began immediately after the incident, has been a complex task, involving the removal of tonnes of debris and the stabilization of the remaining structure. The early morning works are part of the ongoing efforts to secure the site and prevent any further collapse.
While the BCA’s intervention has been welcomed by residents, many are still concerned about the potential long-term effects of the incident. “We’re just glad that something is being done about the early morning works,” says Joe. “But we’re also worried about what the future holds. Will our property values drop? Will there be any long-term health implications?”
how the situation will unfold. But for now, at least, the early morning wake-up calls have been silenced, and the residents of Triq il-Kbira can look forward to a few more hours of peaceful sleep.
