Man Hospitalised After Gżira Balcony Fall
Gżira Balcony Plunge: Man Hospitalised After Three-Storey Fall
Emergency services rushed to a Gżira apartment block on Tuesday evening, following reports of a man plummeting three storeys from a balcony. The incident, which occurred around 8 pm, through the usually quiet residential area, leaving neighbours shaken and concerned.
Rescue Operation and Hospitalisation
The man, a 35-year-old Maltese national, was found lying on the pavement below the building, located on Triq il-Kbira, Gżira. Paramedics from the Malta Civil Protection Department and the Malta Police Force swiftly attended to the victim, who was then transported to Mater Dei Hospital in an ambulance. His condition was described as ‘stable’ upon arrival, but sources close to the situation reveal he suffered serious injuries, including multiple fractures and a head trauma.
Dr. Matthew Pace, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Health, confirmed that the man was admitted to the trauma unit and is currently under observation. “We are monitoring his condition closely,” Dr. Pace stated, “and will provide further updates as necessary.”
Investigations and Witness Accounts
The Malta Police Force has launched an investigation into the incident. While the exact circumstances surrounding the fall remain unclear, early indications suggest it may have been an accident. Inspector Joe Mifsud, leading the investigation, appealed for any witnesses to come forward: “We urge anyone who may have seen or heard anything related to this incident to contact us immediately.”
Neighbours who witnessed the fall were left traumatised. Maria, a long-time resident of the building, recounted the scene: “I heard a loud thud and then screams. I looked out and saw him lying there, not moving. It was terrifying.” Another resident, who wished to remain anonymous, revealed that the man was known to be a heavy smoker and had been seen drinking earlier in the day.
Balcony Safety and Prevention
This incident has once again raised concerns about balcony safety in Malta’s residential blocks. Many balconies lack safety barriers, and some are even too small to accommodate a person safely. In light of this, the Malta Developers Association has called for stricter regulations regarding balcony safety: “We believe that all balconies should be equipped with safety barriers, especially those above the ground floor,” said a spokesperson.
In the meantime, the local council has pledged to inspect the balcony from which the man fell, as well as others in the vicinity, to ensure they meet safety standards. “We take the safety of our residents very seriously,” said a council spokesperson, “and will do everything in our power to prevent such incidents from happening again.”
As the investigation continues, the man’s family has asked for privacy during this difficult time. They have also expressed their gratitude to the emergency services for their swift response and professionalism.
