Malta Marsascala Man Cleared of Attempted Murder in 2019 Shooting
|

Marsascala Man Cleared of Attempted Murder in 2019 Shooting

Marsascala Shooting Verdict: Man Cleared of Attempted Murder

In a dramatic turn of events, a Marsascala man has been acquitted of attempted murder charges following a 2019 shooting incident that left a local resident injured. The jury’s verdict, delivered yesterday afternoon at the Criminal Court, has through the quiet fishing village, leaving residents both surprised and divided.

Recapping the 2019 Marsascala Shooting

On the evening of August 15, 2019, the usually peaceful Triq il-Kbira in Marsascala echoed with gunshots. A 35-year-old man, identified as the accused, allegedly opened fire on a 42-year-old local resident, hitting him in the leg. The victim was rushed to Mater Dei Hospital, where he underwent surgery and eventually made a full recovery.

The accused, a father of two and a long-time Marsascala resident, was arrested shortly after the incident. He maintained his innocence throughout the trial, claiming he had acted in self-defense. The prosecution, however, argued that the shooting was a deliberate attempt to cause grievous bodily harm.

The Trial and Verdict

The trial, which began earlier this year, saw several witnesses take the stand, including the victim and the accused’s girlfriend at the time of the incident. The defense argued that the accused had been acting in self-defense, claiming that the victim had threatened him with a knife earlier that evening.

After several hours of deliberation, the jury returned a not guilty verdict, acquitting the accused of attempted murder. The court also acquitted him of lesser charges of causing actual bodily harm and illegal possession of a firearm.

Reactions from Marsascala

News of the verdict spread quickly through Marsascala, with residents reacting with a mix of surprise and disbelief. While some welcomed the acquittal, others expressed concern about the message it sends to the community.

“I’m glad he was acquitted,” said one resident, who wished to remain anonymous. “I’ve known him since he was a kid, and I never believed he could do something like this.”

However, another resident, who also wished to remain anonymous, expressed concern. “I’m shocked. I mean, someone was shot. How can he just walk free?”

The Marsascala Local Council declined to comment on the verdict, stating that it respects the independence of the judiciary.

While the accused has been acquitted, the shooting incident has left a lasting impact on Marsascala. The victim, who has since moved away from the village, told Hot Malta that he still lives with the fear of what happened that night.

“I just want to move on with my life,” he said. “But every time I hear a loud noise, I can’t help but think about that night.”

The accused, now a free man, told Hot Malta that he plans to rebuild his life and reconnect with his community. “I’ve learned my lesson,” he said. “I just want to put this behind me and move forward.”

As Marsascala continues to grapple with the aftermath of this incident, one thing is clear: the need for open dialogue and understanding within the community has never been more apparent.

Similar Posts