Marsascala Shooting: Man Acquitted of Attempted Murder
Marsascala Shooting Verdict: Man Acquitted of Attempted Murder
In a dramatic turn of events, a jury has acquitted a 32-year-old man of attempted murder in the 2019 Marsascala shooting that left a man fighting for his life. The verdict, delivered on Tuesday afternoon, has through the quiet fishing village, leaving residents and witnesses alike grappling with the outcome.
Revisiting the Night of the Shooting
The incident took place on a balmy summer evening in August 2019, when Marsascala’s usually tranquil Triq il-Kbira was shattered by the sound of gunshots. A 35-year-old man was left critically injured, his life hanging in the balance. The accused, a local resident, was arrested shortly after the shooting and has been in custody ever since.
The trial, which began earlier this year, heard conflicting testimonies from witnesses. Some claimed to have seen the accused firing the shots, while others cast doubt on their identifications. The prosecution argued that the shooting was a targeted attack, while the defense maintained that the accused was not even at the scene.
Jury’s Deliberation and Verdict
The jury, after deliberating for several hours, returned a not guilty verdict on the charge of attempted murder. They also acquitted the accused of being in possession of a firearm and ammunition. The courtroom erupted in gasps and sobs as the verdict was read out, with the accused’s family breaking down in tears of relief.
Speaking outside the court, the accused’s lawyer, Dr. Joseph Giglio, expressed his satisfaction with the verdict. “Today, justice has been served. My client has maintained his innocence from day one, and I’m glad the jury saw through the prosecution’s case,” he said.
The victim’s family, however, was left devastated by the verdict. Speaking on condition of anonymity, a family member told Hot Malta, “We’re shocked and disappointed. We believed in our hearts that he was guilty. We’ll continue to fight for justice.”
Marsascala Reacts
News of the verdict has sparked a wave of reactions in Marsascala. While some residents have expressed relief that a man has been spared a life sentence, others are questioning the jury’s decision. “I’ve lived here all my life, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said one resident, who wished to remain anonymous.
Marsascala Mayor Mario Filletti, when asked for comment, said, “This is a complex case, and I respect the jury’s decision. However, I understand the emotions running high in our community. We must remember to stay united and peaceful, regardless of the verdict.”
The Marsascala shooting has once again brought to light the issue of gun violence in Malta. Despite the island’s relatively low crime rates, incidents of gun-related crimes have been on the rise in recent years. This verdict, while acquitting one man, leaves many questions unanswered and a community divided.
