Stadium Wall Dismantled Without Permit Ahead of Labour Meeting
Labour’s Surprise: Stadium Wall Dismantled Without Permit in Time for Mass Meeting
Early morning joggers along the Marsa Sports Complex were met with a surprise this week. The wall surrounding the Ta’ Qali National Stadium, a landmark in Malta’s sporting history, was being dismantled. The catch? No permit had been issued for the work, and it’s all happening just in time for the Labour Party’s mass meeting.
Unplanned Demolition Raises Eyebrows
The demolition, which began on Monday, has raised eyebrows among local residents and sports enthusiasts. The Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA) confirmed that no permit has been issued for the work. “We are aware of the situation and are looking into it,” a spokesperson said.
Labour MP and Shadow Minister for Gozo Clint Camilleri, whose constituency includes Ta’ Qali, was taken aback by the news. “I was not informed about any plans to dismantle the wall,” he said. “I’m awaiting clarification from the relevant authorities.”
Timing Coincides with Labour Meeting
The timing of the demolition is curious, coming just days before the Labour Party’s mass meeting at the stadium on Sunday. The party’s General Secretary, Albert Frantangall, when asked about the coincidence, simply replied, “We are focused on our meeting. The stadium’s management is responsible for the infrastructure.”
When pressed about the lack of permit, Frantangall added, “We are not involved in the stadium’s maintenance. We’re here to discuss our party’s vision for Malta.”
Stadium’s Future in Question
The Ta’ Qali National Stadium, built in 1960, has been a significant part of Malta’s sporting scene. It’s home to the Malta Football Association and has hosted numerous international matches. However, its future has been uncertain in recent years, with calls for its redevelopment or replacement.
Dr. Mario Sagona, a local historian, expressed concern about the demolition. “The wall is part of the stadium’s character. We should be preserving our sporting heritage, not destroying it,” he said.
As the wall comes down, questions remain unanswered. Why was the work started without a permit? What are the plans for the stadium’s future? And why now, just before the Labour Party’s mass meeting?
what lies behind the dismantled wall. But one thing is clear: the people of Malta deserve answers.
