Drugs Worth €100,000 Seized in Ħal Far
Car Seized, Man Arrested After Drugs Worth €100,000 Found in Vehicle During Ħal Far Roadblock
It was a chilly Tuesday morning in Ħal Far, a quiet coastal village in the southeastern part of Malta, when a routine roadblock turned into a major drug bust. The scene was set at around 6:30 AM, as the first light of dawn broke over the Mediterranean Sea, casting a stark contrast to the grim discovery that was about to unfold.
In an operation led by the Malta Police Force’s Drug Squad, a car was stopped at the Ħal Far roadblock, a common checkpoint for vehicles entering or exiting the nearby Malta Freeport. Little did the driver, a 32-year-old man from Birkirkara, know that this morning would be his unlucky day.
€100,000 Worth of Drugs Seized
As the police officers approached the vehicle, their trained eyes spotted something amiss. A thorough search of the car revealed a staggering 1.2 kilograms of cocaine and 2.5 kilograms of cannabis, hidden away in the vehicle’s compartments. The estimated street value of the seized drugs? A whopping €100,000.
The man, who was driving the car, was immediately arrested and taken into custody. His vehicle, a silver Ford Focus, was also seized by the police. The drugs, along with the car, were taken to the police headquarters in Floriana for further investigation.
Operation Ħal Far: A Blow to Drug Trafficking in Malta
This seizure is part of Operation Ħal Far, an ongoing police campaign targeting drug trafficking in Malta. The operation, which began earlier this year, has already led to several arrests and the seizure of a significant amount of illegal drugs.
Superintendent of the Drug Squad, Mario Christaldi, praised the officers involved in the operation. “This is a testament to the dedication and hard work of our officers. We will continue to strive to make Malta a drug-free country,” he said.
Local residents of Ħal Far, who were interviewed after the incident, expressed their relief and support for the police operation. “We’re glad that the police are taking a strong stance against drug trafficking,” said one resident, who wished to remain anonymous. “It’s reassuring to know that they’re keeping our streets safe.”
What’s Next?
The arrested man is currently in police custody, awaiting his arraignment in court. The police investigation is ongoing, and more arrests are not being ruled out. The Drug Squad is also appealing to the public for any information that could help in their ongoing operations.
If you have any information about drug trafficking or any other criminal activity, you can contact the police on 119 or anonymously through the ‘Sagħtan’ app.
