Man Arrested, Drugs Seized at Ħal Far Roadblock
Drugs Seized, Man Arrested at Ħal Far Roadblock
In the early hours of Tuesday morning, a routine roadblock at Ħal Far turned into a significant bust for Maltese police. A man, driving a silver Ford Focus, was stopped at around 2:00 AM, and a subsequent search of his vehicle led to the discovery of a substantial amount of illegal drugs.
Scene of the Arrest
The Ħal Far roadblock, located on the main road leading to the Malta Freeport, is a common checkpoint for police operations. The area, known for its heavy traffic during peak hours, was quiet and still as the arrest unfolded. Witnesses reported seeing the man being taken into custody and his car being searched by police officers.
Drugs Seized and Man Detained
Police seized approximately 200 grams of cannabis and 50 grams of cocaine from the man’s car. The drugs, with an estimated street value of around €3,000, were found hidden in various compartments within the vehicle. The man, a 32-year-old resident of Ħal Qormi, was arrested on the spot and taken to the police headquarters in Floriana for questioning.
Superintendent Mario Portelli, leading the operation, commented, “This is a significant seizure that will disrupt the supply chain of these illegal substances. Our roadblocks are not just about checking documents; they’re about keeping our streets safe.”
Community Reaction and Local Impact
News of the arrest and drug seizure spread quickly among Ħal Far and Ħal Qormi residents. Many expressed relief that such a large quantity of drugs had been taken off the streets. “It’s a relief to know that the police are actively patrolling and making these kinds of arrests,” said Maria, a local resident who wished to remain anonymous.
However, others raised concerns about the potential impact on local businesses. “While we’re glad the police are doing their job, we hope this doesn’t deter customers from coming to our shops and restaurants,” said Joseph, a shop owner in Ħal Far.
Police Operation and Future Measures
The Ħal Far roadblock was part of a larger operation targeting drug trafficking in the south of Malta. Police have vowed to continue such operations, stating that they are committed to maintaining the safety and security of Maltese communities.
In a statement, the Malta Police Force said, “We urge the public to continue reporting any suspicious activities. Your information is crucial in helping us keep our streets free from drugs and crime.”
