Malta Rape Suspect Rearrested After Valletta Chase
|

Rape Suspect Rearrested After Valletta Chase

Dramatic Chase Through Valletta: Rape Suspect Rearrested After Escape Attempt

In a scene straight out of a Hollywood thriller, a rape suspect was rearrested on Tuesday after a dramatic chase through the narrow streets of Valletta. The suspect, identified as 32-year-old Maltese national Mario Xuereb, had been in police custody since last week but managed to escape during a court appearance.

The Escape and Chase

Xuereb, accused of raping a woman in her 20s last month, slipped away from his police escorts as they were transferring him from the law courts to the Corradino Correctional Facility. The incident occurred around 11:30 AM, causing a stir in the usually peaceful surroundings of the law courts building.

Witnesses reported seeing Xuereb dash down Republic Street, Valletta’s main thoroughfare, with police officers in hot pursuit. The chase led through the bustling streets of the capital, past iconic landmarks like St. George’s Square and the Grandmaster’s Palace, before ending in the narrow alleyways of the old city.

Community Response and Arrest

Local residents and tourists alike were shocked by the unexpected turn of events. Many took to social media to express their concern and share updates on the chase. “I was having coffee at Caffe Cordina when I saw the police running after someone,” said one witness, who wished to remain anonymous. “It was quite scary, but I’m glad they caught him.”

Xuereb was eventually apprehended in an alleyway off St. Lucy Street, near the historic St. Lucy’s Church. Police confirmed his arrest around 12:15 PM, ending the tense standoff. He was taken back into custody and will face further charges for escaping from police custody.

The Investigation Continues

The rape incident that led to Xuereb’s initial arrest occurred in early March. The victim, a foreign national living in Malta, reported the assault to the police. The case is still under investigation, and police are appealing to anyone with information to come forward.

Superintendent of Police, Philip Vella, commended the quick response of the police officers involved in the chase. “Their swift action ensured that the suspect was apprehended quickly and without further incident,” he said.

Xuereb’s next court appearance is scheduled for later this month. Meanwhile, the police are reviewing their procedures to prevent such incidents from happening again.

Similar Posts