Malta Labour Dismantles Stadium Wall Without Permit
|

Labour Dismantles Stadium Wall Without Permit

Wall of Silence: Labour’s Stadium Secret

As the sun rose over the Grand Harbour on Tuesday, residents of Marsa were met with a surprise. The towering wall surrounding the National Stadium, a staple of the local skyline, had been reduced to rubble. But this wasn’t the result of some grand redevelopment plan. The wall came down without a permit, raising eyebrows and questions among locals and political rivals alike.

An Early Morning Demolition

Neighbours woke up to the sound of heavy machinery at work. By sunrise, the once imposing wall was a pile of debris. The Labour Party, which controls the local council, has been tight-lipped about the operation. But rumours are rife that the demolition is clearing the way for a mass meeting planned for this weekend.

“I’ve lived here for 30 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Joe, a Marsa resident who asked not to use his full name. “No one told us anything. We woke up to find the wall gone.”

Permit Problems

The Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA) confirmed that no permit was issued for the demolition. “Any works carried out without the necessary permits are illegal and may result in enforcement action,” a spokesperson said.

This isn’t the first time Labour has found itself in hot water over permits. In 2019, the party was criticized for allowing the construction of a stage for a political rally without the necessary permits. This time, however, the stakes are higher. The National Stadium is a protected monument, and any work on it requires special permission.

Political Fallout

The Opposition Nationalist Party has seized on the issue, accusing Labour of acting in a “secretive and arrogant” manner. “This is not how you treat our heritage,” said Beppe Fenech Adami, the party’s spokesperson on local government.

Labour, meanwhile, has remained silent on the matter. Repeated requests for comment from Hot Malta went unanswered. The party is scheduled to hold a mass meeting at the stadium this Sunday, raising speculation that the wall’s demolition is connected to the event.

As the dust settles over Marsa, one thing is clear: the wall’s disappearance has left more questions than answers. With no permit in place and no explanation from Labour, the people of Marsa, and Malta, are left wondering what’s really going on behind the scenes.

Stay tuned to Hot Malta for more updates on this developing story.

Similar Posts